Dermont E Miner was the first “pro” who ever operated on the Cobble Hill golf ground, starting in as soon as the ancient and royal game was introduced here by the late Judge Henry A. Gildersleeve in the summer of 1896. From that time to the present Dermont E. Miner has been a “pro” and during the past few years has had two good jobs, a winter one in Florida and a summer one at Maplewood Club in New Hampshire. Three of his four sons have also become professional golfers.
-Adirondack Record – April – June 1923 – 96
Lynx crosses Cobble Hill Links Early Sunday Morning
-A lynx is reported to have gone across the upper end of the Cobble Hill golf ground early Sunday morning. The animal’s trail was plainly discernable in the soft snow all day Sunday. The tracks of the lynx were first seen by Louis Lesperance, the animal then being headed south. However, Louis followed the trail and found that the lynx after crossing the golf links turned to the west and went up over “sheep pasture hill,’ thence down across the state road near the Elizabethtown Water Company springs and up on to the “Aaron Flats.” Louis says he found blood on the snow in one place where the lynx had apparently fell upon some prey.
-Adirondack Record – January – March 1923 – 32
Ralph Durand of Hartford, Conn., has arrived here in his old home town and consequently an impetus has been added to the ancient and royal game of golf.
A woman employed as cook by Mr. and Mrs. L.P. Evans at their summer home in Elizabethtown village, started to climb “Old Cobble,” the mountain a short distance southwest of the Cobble Hill golf ground, last Sunday afternoon. Becoming separated from her friends, she got turned around and lost, the result being that she not only failed to get to the top of “Old Cobble” but remained alone in the woods all night. Searching parties were organized and at 10:30 o’clock Sunday night men were on top of “Old Cobble”, but their efforts proved of no avail. However, as soon as it became daylight the woman climbed up onto a knoll and seeing the settlement in the valley below, got her bearings and came down out of the woods. At 6:30 o’clock Monday morning as the local representative of this newspaper was going to the pasture to milk his cow, he met the woman on the state highway at a point near Clarence Underwood’s house. She said she had been out alone all night. This is the first time any person ever was obliged to remain out alone all night in the woods at the foot of “Old Cobble.”
1925 - “Eddie” Schultz has built a piazza on two sides of the shop on the Cobble Hill golf links.
1926 - The Rev D.C. Abbott and his son Conwell are rusticating here in their old home town. They are boarding at Mrs. Charles K. Dunster’s and are consequently located conveniently near the Cobble Hill golf links upon which the elder takes pleasure in playing.
1931 - It is with pleasure that the recent arrival of “William D. Boswell and family at Underwood is noted in this column. Local golfers are particularly gratified, as Mr. Boswell and his appreciated son-in-law have made their appearance on the Cobble Hill links.
Golfers are daily becoming more numerous on the Cobble Hill links.
Ben Stetson’s Golf Course said to be one of the best. Authorities on miniature golf call Ben Stetson’s new natural fairway course one of the best in the “Empire State.” Its appointments include natural turf fairways in place of the usual cinder coursers, the most unique and attractive log cabin other buildings in the Adirondacks, which was built by George H. Smart, Elizabethtown contractor, and hood lights for night playing, the electrical wiring having been done by Melvin E. Longware, an Elizabethtown electrician. In its entirety Landlord Stetson’s new and most up-to-date miniature golf course is a material addition to the attractiveness of the beautiful village of Elizabethtown.
1934 - Mr. and Mrs. Leon Hunter of Willard, Ohio, are again spending a week or more with Mr. and Mrs. O.E. Thompson. While here they are enjoying the Cobble Hill golf links.
A benefit concert for the Cobble Hill Golf Club, Elizabethtown, will be held in the dining room of the Hotel Windsor at 8:45 p.m., Saturday, September first. Artists of the evening will be Margaret Huddle Slaughter of Austin, Texas, and New York city, soprano; J.T. DeBlois Wack of Westport, baritone, Stanley S. Kilkenny, Base, Elizabethtown, with Millford Snell, accompanist, Mrs. Slaughter is gifted with a rare personality and keen musical perception. She was formerly a member of the San Francisco Opera Company and is at present one of radio’s leading stars. This occasion will be a treat to all music lovers of the community.
1941 - The trophies for the men and women players in the Sixth Annual Champlain Valley Golf tournament on August 16, 17, and 18 are presented annually by Edward F. Mack of Chicago.
1953 - Mrs. F.D. Sargent has opened her home near the golf links for the summer and her grandson is spending some time with her. We are glad to have Mrs. Sargent and family here again.
Still looking over the lands...Bruce McPhail
Noel Merrihew, Supervisor
Year Round Destination
Cobble hill golf course
Club House: (518) 873-9974
Maintenance Building: (518) 873-2664
Email Address: CobbleHill@etownny.com
Mailing address: PO Box 265
Elizabethtown, New York 12932
Physical Address: High Street / 8405 US Route 9N
Elizabethtown, New York 12932
Town of Elizabethtown
One of the oldest golf courses in America, built in 1896, the course offers nine challenging holes among the tall pines and spectacular mountain views.
The course season runs May through September
Town Hall (18) 873-6555 / Court (518) 873-2047
Fax (518) 873-9584 / TownHall@elizabethtown-ny.gov
Buy it here before you go!
Single Membership: https://square.link/u/OanS3YZ8
Couples Membership: https://square.link/u/gcW7Gw11
Family Membership: https://square.link/u/LfWZpbTM
Riding Cart / 18 holes: https://square.link/u/RW6fdYmg
Riding Cart / 9 holes: https://square.link/u/wglUi459
Please note: There will be a 3% service charge added to purchases.